II.) ADDITIONAL HISTORIC REFERENCES
LITTUR- LITTER - LETER
(The Wet Hillside)
King's History of Kerry
Vol . 3, P. 215
"Belonged to the MacCrohans, an offshoot of the O'Sullivan Mor clan. The
McGillycudy's branched off the same stem."
"Given to Alexander Eager by Dudlow. One of the Eagers later built
Caragh Lake Hotel." Con McCrohan in Letter at time of Ludlow."
King Vol. II
"The Lettur Alexander was.4th son of Alex Eager/Rose
0'Toole of Bally-maulus Castle and the family only got Ballymalus some time after 1677.
The Littur Alex married Elizabeth, Daughter of Rev. Pierce Butler,
Rector of Iverach, and so left no issue."
"Ancient & Present State J.G.
Kerry", 1756 P.107
"In this Parifh is a second castle
called Litter, erected formerly by O'Sullivans, and in later times,
possessed a branch of that family called MacCrehan."
|The castle was situated 1.5 SSE
of Cahirciveen town. The foundations only remain (1969) shown on
.5" to one mile map - Kerry 79.
15 August 1841
A gcathair Saidhbhin anUibh Rathach
| "In the townland of Litter in the southwest of this parish there was
formerly a castle which belonged to the family of MacCrehin a branch of the
0'Sullivan's. It is now entirely destroyed, but its site is well known and shown
and should appear on the ordinance map."
MacCrohan (McCrohan) -Branch of The O'Sullivans.
"They were recorded as providing forty (40) men for O'Sullivan's army in 1596.
Their seat was at the Castle of Letter near Caherciveen. In the penal times they
were reduced to obscurity in Ireland, but as exiles rose to prominence in Spain.
As late as 1657 the MacCrechins are included, in a state paper of the day,
among the Munster families "Plotting for Trouble" and in the next generation
we find Denis MacCroghan an officer in 0'Donovan's Regiment of James II's Army,
while a Jeremiah Croghan was in Creagh's Regiment. Two MacCroghans of Kerry
were subsequently attainted by Jacobites."
Above is an extract from the book "More Irish Families II by Edward McLysaght .
0'Gorman Ltd., Galway and Dublin. -
Source Of Excerpt: Unidentified Newspaper Article
"Maurice O'Connell who was high sheriff of Kerry in 1560 could trace his descent, generation by generation, back to 1337 when Hugh O'Connell was chief of
the O'Connell nation. Glancing at his pedigree we find the blood of the O'Briens
of Thomond, the O'Connors of Corcomroe, the O'Connors Kerry, the O'Sullivans
Beare, the MacCarthys Mor, the O'Donovans of Clan Cathail, the Earls of Desmond,
the O'Callaghans, the MacCrohans mingled with the O'Connells. Maurice the high
sheriff died on July 24, 1607, and two years later on April 10, 1609, an inquisition was held at Tralee before Sir Dominic Sarsfield, Knight, John Meade,
and John Burkett, Attorney for Minister, and a jury. The findings of the
inquisition include details of the lands held by the late Maurice, including
"Tracing an O'Connell Pedigree"
Ballycarbery, Cahirciveen, Aghort and many others including what were called
"adjacent lands in the patria called O'Connell's country in Iveragh."
Maurice's son and heir, Geoffery, had inherited all the lands and other property.
This Geoffery who became high sheriff of Kerry in 1616 married Hanora,
a daughter of MacCrohan of Letter Castle. They had two sons, Daniel and
Maurice. Daniel married Alicia Singerson and their son, John O'Connell of Derrynane was
the great grandfather of Daniel O'Connell the Liberator. This John of Derrynane
married Jane Conway of Cloghan and was a captain in the army of James II. By
license under the articles of the Treaty of Limerick he succeeded in keeping his
lands. His son Daniel of Derrynane, married Maire Dhubh Ni Dhonnchadha and their
son, Morgan O'Connell , married Catherine 0'Mullane of Whitechurch. They were
the parents of Daniel O'Connell, who was indeed captain of his nation."
# # #
Geoffery O'Connell, castellar of Ballycarbery Castle married Hanora MacCrohan
c. 16?? Since a boat would take him across to Renard in fifteen minutes, she
was probably a Renard MacCrohan!
John Og MacCrohan lived there in Renard before that and went to Beiginis
Island nearby in 1654 to escape Cromwell,'s army. Some MacCrohans stayed
on Beiginis (little island) until one married the post mistress in Valentia
fifty years ago and moved there. She had a fine premises -two story near the
brokel. Present Post Office is next door now. This was father of Dan and
Owen. Dan has nice boy and girl now five and eight. .Plenty claret in those days.
O'Connells and MacCrohans were smugglers. One French base was Nantes.
Source: 'Antiquities of County Kerry' O'Donovan 1841.
Reprints Ordinance Surrey.
Dod (?) Mc Crohan was abbot of abbey of Terryglass when Dermot Mc Murrough came
back with his Norman allies from England. Terryglass is on Nenagh side of Lough
Derg, in Co. Tipperary. Abbey ruins on Village street. The book of Leinster
was compiled by order of this Mc Crohan who was Dermot's tutor.
Most of the book is in Trinity College Dublin and remainder in Franciscan
library at Dun Muire, Killiney, Co. Dublin. A letter copied from the book
of Leinster from Finn Mac Gorman to the same Mc Crohan directs that the
conclusion of the book is written by Mc Crohan.
Found in "the Norman Invasion of Ireland",
by Richard Roche, Anvill Books
(1169 or earlier date)